Friday, November 30, 2018

November Community Service- KIPP School

For the Month on November, I continued my service at the KIPP School. I love the flexibility of the hours and the staff is wonderful to work with. Since this is the second month I have worked here I am much more familiar with the layout of the school and much more comfortable doing the tasks I am assigned. The more I work here, the more I learn about the KIPP School, what it stands for, and the community around it. They have special rooms where they place kids that have some anger management issues. Sometimes, the best thing to do for these kids is to allow them to let everything out. Keeping anger and other aggressive moments pent up only makes things worse on the long run. Its only a matter of time before the emotions accumulate like soda in a shook soda can, and explode with often catastrophic consequences. That's why I believe it is better to let out the emotions sooner before they become too powerful.

I have also learned about how much attention the KIPP School pays to the students. They have special focus groups for students struggling in certain classes, such as English and Math. These students are taken to a different room and work with a tutor until every student is comfortable with the material being covered in class. It is just another aspect of the school that shows me how committed the school is to making their students master and enjoy learning new things. Since many of the students come to the school from tough circumstances at home I think it is extremely valuable for them to be allowed to learn at their own pace, and get individual attention. The faculty must be patient and diligent if they have these types of focus groups to help their children excel, and I bet that means so much to the kids. If their intellectual curiosity is stimulated in their early years, it will dramatically increase their chance to be life-long learners that are able to achieve upward socioeconomic mobility.

I hope that going forward with my service, I will have more opportunities to meet and understand the children at the KIPP School and do my part to help them work toward their dreams.

November Service Hour total: 12

Total Service Hours for the semester: 24

No comments:

Post a Comment